“A senior at Mitakihara Middle School, just like you two.”
Mami has very curly blonde hair, usually in twin drills. She has yellow eyes. She wears a uniform-like outfit, with a checkered skirt and a beige coat. In her Magical Girl form, she has beige skirt with black tips, and her top is a long sleeved white shirt with puffs. In between her skirt and her top, she has a brown corset-like clothing garment. She also has a small brown hat with white fur coming out of it.
In Ume Aoki's design notes, she states that her twisty, curly hair and floral hairpin make her seem like a big sister. She also says that Mami’s magical girl design was definitely centered around her image as a gunner.
Mami Tomoe appears to be a very kind and cheerful girl, as seen in "I'm Not Afraid of Anything Anymore". She also reveals to Madoka Kaname that she is lonely and she tells her how and why she became a magical girl. Mami is very nice to everyone but she seems to dislike Homura Akemi. In Rebellion, it's seen that she took a liking to Bebe.
Mami's choice of weapon is a gun or two and ribbons. Her ribbons are tied around her neck and can be used to tie people up, like a trap. They can also turn into a giant gun. She is shown to be a skilled fighter. She has fought evenly with Homura Akemi.
Mami's Various Guns
- The character for her last name (巴) means "comma design".
- Her first name is written in katakana, which has no particular meaning. But when written in kanji, it can be read as:
- graceful jewel (雅珠)
- light of love (愛光)
- true heart (真心)
- sea of the heavens (天海)
- dancing beauty (舞美)
- dancing light (舞光)
- polished beauty (磨美)
- sparkling purple (晶紫)
- magical beauty (魔美)
- magical charm (魔魅)
- intense hemp (麻深)
- She is the only character whose first name is written in katakana.
- She is also known as "Yellow" among fans.
- In the original design, her school uniform had white tights instead of brown.
- Mami is a rather good cook, especially when it comes to desserts.