“A senior at Mitakihara Middle School, just like you two.”
Mami Tomoe is a Maho Shoujo who appears to Madoka and Sayaka as they are attacked by a Witch in the first episode. She is already contracted to Kyubey and offers to act as a mentor to the pair if they so chose to become magical girls themselves.
- The character for her last name (巴) means "comma design"
- Her first name is written in katakana, which has no particular meaning. When written in kanji, it can be read as:
- graceful jewel (雅珠)
- light of love (愛光)
- true heart (真心)
- sea of the heavens (天海)
- dancing beauty (舞美)
- dancing light (舞光)
- polished beauty (磨美)
- sparkling purple (晶紫)
- magical beauty (魔美)
- magical charm (魔魅)
- intense hemp (麻深)
- She is the only character whose first name is written in katakana
- She is also known as Yellow among fans
- In her transformation sequence, during her ballet dance, right at the part before her mahou shoujou form appears, her body posture seems to resemble the shape of a grief seed.