Puella Magi Madoka Magica (魔法少女まどか☆マギカ Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika?) is the manga adaptation of the Puella Magi Madoka Magica TV series. It was originally released from February 12th, 2011 to May 30th, 2011. The manga was written by Gen Urobuchi and illustrated by Hanokage.
Volume 1 Edit
When a new girl joins her class, Madoka Kaname feels she recognizes the mysterious, dark-haired transfer student from one of her dreams... a dream where she is approached by a cat-like creature who offers Madoka an opportunity to change destiny. Madoka had always thought magic was the stuff of fantasy... until she sees the transfer student fighting with the very cat-being from her dream! And just like in Madoka's dream, the cat gives her a choice. Will Madoka become a magical girl in exchange for her dearest desire? What will be the cost of having her wish come true?
Volume 2 Edit
While Madoka continues to deliberate over the decision to join Homura Akemi as a magical girl, her best friend, Sayaka Miki, seizes the chance to wish for the recovery of the boy she loves. But when Sayaka is caught in a territory dispute with a more experienced (and more deadly) magical girl named Kyoko Sakura, Madoka is reminded that being a magical girl is more than a matter of donning a frilly costume and fighting evil... it is also a matter of life and death!
Volume 3 Edit
Madoka is horrified to learn the true nature of the witches she and her friends, the magical girls, have been fighting — and the terrible fate that awaits any magical girl who accepts Kyubey's offer of power. Having watched countless magical girls sacrificed for the larger aims of his people, Kyubey is only interested in securing more girls to that end, and Madoka is left with his chilling reminder that she too is destined to be a magical girl of incredible power... can Madoka and her friends escape this tragic fate?
Chapters and Volumes Edit
Each chapter adapts one episode of the TV series.
- Chapter 1: "I Met Her in a Dream, I Think..."
- Chapter 2: "How Happy It Would Make Me"
- Chapter 3: "I've Got Nothing To Be Afraid Of"
- Chapter 4: "Miracles and Magic Both Exist"
- Chapter 5: "Regrets? How Could I Regret This?"
- Chapter 6: "This Is Just Too Weird"
- Chapter 7: "Can You Truly Face Your Feelings?"
- Chapter 8: "What An Idiot I Am"
- Chapter 9: "They're the Ones I Just Can't Accept"
- Chapter 10: "I Refuse to Rely on Anyone Anymore"
- Chapter 11: "The Final Remaining Guidepost"
- Chapter 12: "My Very Best Friend"
Differences from the TV series Edit
While production on the TV series was ongoing, the manga was being created. Because of this, the manga has many differences.
- Each soul gem in its transformed state has a uniform shape, instead of being different from girl to girl.